When I was young
They told me I could be whatever I wanted to be
I was told that I was free
The only one who could hold me back was...
Me
I was told those who were in poverty deserved it
Those who were not had earned it
If you broke the law you earned second class status
You were a traitor to our trust
If you were a law abiding citizen you were given a pass
To look down on those who had a past
If you were a cop you were placed on a pedestal
Even if you did wrong you were right... Still
I was told it didn't matter what your pigment showed
Red, yellow, black, or white, your color was hollowed
Your character and actions are what mattered
Except the former defined the latter
It doesn't matter if you do good or not
Because when you're black, thug is your plot
When you're yellow, genius is your shot
When you're red, gambling is your lot
And when your white, the world is yours to blot
To blot out the dissenters
To blot out the protesters
To blot out the diversity
To blot out nonconformity
To choose what the world sees
The victor always writes the history
If you use a drug, you're not struggling with addiction, but are trampling the white system
Colorblindness doesn't mean what we thought, but means that the world is still black and white minus the grays
People thought being colorblind made everyone the same, but forgot even the colorblind see different shades
There are still dark and light people, but the reflection doesn't represent our inner steeple
The dark can house the light just as light the dark
The question is does colorblindness improve us or remove the beauty of color from our world
Have we imposed a prison of blacks, whites, and grays on the world to protect us from the beauties that allow for horrors
Are we so terrified of our capacity for evil that we remove the good and beautiful
Keep the cultures of the pigments across the world and let them separate or mingle as they please
Let the cultures differ and recognize their differences
Stop trying to make everyone the same and making everyone tame
Stop letting the formers define the latters and let the ladders lead to the formers
That is let us rise up the ladders and form the world with our mingled and distinct cultures
Let us embrace separate cultures as equally beautiful and love our pigment as well as each others
Why be the same when you can be different
Why be gray when you can be red, yellow, black, or white
No comments:
Post a Comment